Peony Poppy Black Seeds (medicinal) (appx 500 seeds)
Papaver somniferum, ‘Drama Queen‘
‘Drama Queen’ poppies stay shorter than many other somniferum varieties, reaching a mature height of 2-3 ft tall.. They prefer a cooler climate and grow best in loose, well drained soil, so should be planted only when extreme heat or extreme cold is not anticipated. Seeds can be sown in the fall or early spring as soon as the last winter snow recedes. One can even scatter them at the edge of melting snow. Freezing seeds for 48 hours before sowing can increase the germination percentage.
The silken, delicate purple-streaked ruby red blooms have fringed edges and showy white stamens with a lime green ovary, while the foliage is an olive-green color. Drama Queen Poppies are known to attract a variety of beneficial insects to the garden, such as butterflies, bumblebees, ladybugs, and even hummingbirds.
Full sun to partial shade.
Height: 2-3 ft
How & Why:
- Poppy extracts have traditionally been used to relax smooth muscle tone, making them potentially useful in the treatment of diarrhea and abdominal cramping. The extract has been used as a sedative analgesic and antitussive.
- Poppy seeds are used as a condiment with baked goods and pastries for their nutty odor and flavor. Poppy oil is widely used as an edible cooking oil. The oil is also used in the manufacture of paints, varnishes, and soaps.
- Poppy seed is generally recognized as safe for human consumption as a spice or a natural flavoring.
- Ancient Egyptian doctors would have their patients eat seeds from a poppy to relieve pain.
- Poppy seeds contain small quantities of both morphine and codeine, which are pain-relieving drugs that are still used today.
- Poppy seeds and fixed oils can also be nonnarcotic because when they are harvested about twenty days after the flower has opened, the morphine is no longer present.